Environmental issues are a common challenge faced by all people of the world, and we are in an age where initiatives to reduce a company's burden on the environment affect the quality of its management and, in turn, the evaluation of its products. NSK tackled environmental issues early on, and in January 1999 we acquired ISO14001 certification, the global standard environmental management system. NSK shall implement in all its corporate activities, such as research and development, manufacturing, sales and services of ultra-high-speed rotary equipment, including dental instruments, the following environmental activities based on the goals of reduction of environmental impact for the global environment of the future, harmony with nature, and the establishment of a healthy and prosperous society.
- Replaced all air conditioners with models that are 45% more energy efficient than conventional models
- Installed demand monitoring equipment to manage the maximum power
- Installed automatically operating control panel, reducing power consumption in wings A, B and C by about 3%
(about 96,600kWh per year)
- Installed 256 solar panels in the front of our headquarters
- Introduced the "ECO wise" power visualization system
- Introduced the "ECODUCE" chemical management system
- Exceeded by a large margin soot and smoke emissions standards installing
a new high combustion "Ace Plaza type 2 Incinerator"
- Exceeded by a large margin industrial wastewater discharge standards for polishing treatment solutions,
etc., by installing "agglomerative precipitation-type biological waste water treatment equipment"
- Acquired the international standard environmental management system "ISO14001" certification
- Completed compliance with the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive
- Completed compliance with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive
- Completed the abolition of ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- Completed the abolition of hazardous water-polluting (methylene chloride) organic solvents
- Completed the abolition of super millstream, which is subject to the Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR)
- Completed the abolition of trichloroethylene, a first-class organic solvent
- Installed a tertiary treatment septic tank
- Abolished a small incinerator in order to eliminate the emission of air pollutants such as dioxins
- Voluntary patrolling to check on nearby water quality
- Conducted "Environmental Impact Survey" within the company
- Running of a raw material and energy "loss eradication" campaign
The annual power generated by the solar panels at our headquarters is equivalent
to the amount of power consumed by 8 houses, making it the top class in Tochigi Prefecture
Use of cutting-oil precision filters
achieved a cutting-oil recycling rate of 97%
The water used at our factories is made completely clean at our water purifying facility and passes through a pond on our premises before being released into lakes and rivers.